Sunday, July 8, 2012

Oh, the mystery...

   I want to know the woman who made this bracelet I now wear. 


   I long to know her story, her life. I want to know the good and the bad. I want to know what circumstances she has been in, the hardships she has endured. I want to hear the pride in her voice when she tells me that she can send her children to school now because she has a steady income from these bracelets she makes. I want to see the relief on her face as she tells me that she doesn't have to brew alcohol or sell her body to put food on the table anymore. I want to sit with her and just talk. I want to see her home, however small and barren it may be. I want to spend a while with her, living the life that God has so graciously, for some reason, spared me from. 

   I want to become uncomfortable. I want to become so uncomfortable with my life and the way that I am living; so frivolously, in such incredible abundance. I want to understand the condition some people live in so that I may be more thankful than I am, so that I never again take the things that I have for granted. 

   I want to see her smile when I tell her the bracelet is beautiful. I want to look her in her eyes and tell her that SHE is beautiful, that SHE is lovely. I want to speak words of love into her heart, I want to be an instrument the Lord uses as He breathes life into her soul.

...the LORD, who remains faithful forever. He upholds the cause of the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The LORD sets prisoners free, the LORD gives sight to the blind, the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down...
       - Psalm 146:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment