Sunday, July 1, 2012

One day, the dream began...

   One day, I received a letter in the mail - one of my favorite things in the world. But this one was special, different from junk mail and ads. This was an old-fashioned, handwritten letter! Its blue and red envelope spoke of far-off countries, places I'd never seen and most likely never would see (or so I thought at the time). The handwriting was blocky, like a child had written it, and I couldn't wait to see what it contained.

   My enthusiasm bursting, I ripped it open and eagerly looked to see who it was from: a girl from Uganda. A girl I'd never met. 

   Earlier that year, I had packed nearly 30 shoeboxes full of gifts for children in third-world countries as part of the Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child project. My friends and family and I had put letter into each one, telling about ourselves, asking about the child who would receive the box, and wishing them a Merry Christmas. We always put return addresses in the letter in hopes of a reply, but we had never gotten one - until now. 

   Even in my young mind, I read my letter and my heart broke. This girl had nothing to her names besides what I had given her (which mostly consisted of Dollar Tree flip-flops and school supplies), yet she was so happy! I couldn't comprehend that type of joy, even though I had (and still have) everything I could ever want. She wrote of a God so holy and wonderful and all-powerful; a God that I knew well, but only within the perimeters of my small farming town nestled in the Bible Belt, surrounded by a loving family, great friends, and mountains of money - which I had never noticed until then. I didn't understand how this girl who had virtually nothing in the eyes of the world could be so happy while I, who had nearly everything, was so often unhappy. 

   As I wrote her back and we continued to exchange letters, as I began to learn about her culture and people, as she taught me bits and pieces of her language, we became friends. And as we became friends, as I started to care for and lover her and her family, I fell in love with Uganda.

   I fell in love with its people who love Jesus with all their hears but own almost nothing, who put their trust and faith in Him though they sometimes don't know where their next meal will come from.

   It may seem odd to you that I can be so passionate about this country and its people; that I can love them so intensely, yet I've never even set foot on that land. Don't worry, you're not alone. It's odd to me, too. But all of my uncertainty is overpowered by my love of Uganda's people and the Lord who has given me this love and passion. 

   I have dreamed of visiting this country for years, I have read books about it and gone on mission trips with my church because I was so excited about sharing the love of God and His Word with people who had never heard it before. I have loved my trips to the Dominican Republic and Mexico. But I still dream of a land that is halfway around the world. 

   And I truly believe that God will get me there. Somehow, some way. 

   And I cannot wait!!http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/

No comments:

Post a Comment